Tuesday 27 October 2015

I have a home!

Well, things seemed to have happened pretty quickly!

After finding out that I had got the job last night, my aim for the rest of this week was to find a place. As rentals here go by the first of the month and it was already the 26th I was determined to try and find a place pretty quickly. It only left me 5 days to find a place!

Honestly, I was freaking out a bit. I think I was a bit too chilled about it last week, only sending a couple of emails per day, but then realised after talking to the aussie couple whose place I checked out last week where they said they received hundreds of emails, I realised it was time to step up the game!

Knowing that I have a job though really helps, especially in terms of my budget and where to live. So I concentrated on the area around the hospital which is the area I'm staying in right now and the area that I'm familiar with as I lived not to far from here previously.

Today, was a beautiful day but I stayed in, determined to send as many emails as possible!  I have no idea how many I sent - maybe 10-15? It doesn't sound like much, but when you have to read through every ad that peaks your interest and then decide whether or not to email them it's very time consuming. I also got a bit desperate and put my own ad up on Craigslist!!

However, I heard back from 2 girls who I contacted after seeing their ad, both of whom had a 2 bed apartment and both were a 5 minute walk from where I'm going to work!

The first one, would be sharing with an Irish girl. She initially said she had someone but then later emailed to say it had fallen through and could I go and see the place. Of course I agreed!

The second one would be sharing with a girl from Vancouver Island. She sounded really cool but the thing that kinda put me off was that it cost a little bit more and you have to pay to use the washer and dryer. One of my personal checklists is to have an in suite washer/dryer. Kinda important when you sweat it out regularly at the gym.

Anyway, I had agreed to meet with both.

The first one was the Irish girl. It's a decent size, 2 bed apartment. "My" room was already partly furnished and has a queen size bed. She is so chilled and seems like she'll be really easy to get along with. What can I say though? Irish in general are very cool people. :)  She mentioned she had a younger girl who was also interested but she wasn't so keen on renting it to her. So right then and there I decided this was the place for me! It works for both of us! We're around the same age and I think it'll work out well.

I then emailed the other chick and said I have taken a room. I think sometimes you have to go with your gut and I think this will be a good place to live. Not only is it a 5 minute walk to work, it's a 10 minute walk to the gym and Zoe and Matthew (who I'm currently staying with) have already advised of many good places to check out around there.

I feel good about it and move in on Friday. It is such a relief to have found somewhere. I honestly wasn't expecting to find a place today but I'm glad I did!

Now I can enjoy the rest of the week and buy a few necessities before I move in. Looking forward to making the room my own!

Oh and if you happen to visit Vancouver there is a sofa bed (apparently it's a bit uncomfortable) or there'll be enough room in my room for a blow up bed! So come visit!!

By the way, my ad on Craigslist? I received about 10 or more emails responding to it! Honestly, I didn't think I would get any response, but Craigslist is a bit of a strange place. I can happily say, that I've now deleted that ad so I don't get any more emails!

No comments:

Post a Comment