Tuesday 8 December 2015

Homesickness and hockey.

The last couple of days I've really missed home. It’s such a strange feeling. It started a bit on the weekend when I didn’t feel like going out and doing anything.

Don’t get me wrong, I love being here but right now I’m really missing the familiarity of home and my friends and family. I guess perhaps it’s because I’ve been away for 2 months already and it’s been go, go, go since I left and I haven’t really had a chance to slow down. I don’t know it’s hard to explain! But in saying that it was about 2 months in when I was away previously that I felt homesick.

This visit to San Francisco this weekend couldn’t come at a better time. Right now I need to see someone from home and I’m glad I’m catching up with my family. Just need a bit of a recharge I think. Maybe it’s also because it’s so close to Christmas too.

In other news, my friend Jess and I went to the ice hockey and saw the Vancouver Canucks play the Boston Bruins on Saturday night. Jess scored free tickets through work! Apparently there’s a fierce rivalry that dates back to 2011 when there were riots after the hockey final and Boston beat Vancouver. Anyway, all I can say is thank goodness we didn’t pay for tickets, as the Bruins defeated the Canucks in a pretty big way…. 4-0. We ended up leaving before it finished to beat the crowds. We had no idea about the rules…just that they needed to get the puck into the net.

We were excited though as within the first minute there was a fight which led to a penalty for each team. Also later in the game one of the Canucks hit a Bruins player in the balls with his stick! (and it was his hockey stick for all you dirty minded people.) Unfortunately, we missed seeing this as I think this happened after we left. I read that the player was fined $5000 but he said he would do it again! Haha!

Sorry Jess, I’m throwing you under the bus (again!). As we have no idea about rules etc when the Bruins scored their first goal, Jess said “That was a good try”. Hahahaha! We both cracked it! It’s hockey Jess, not rugby league!! We’re really not sports watching people!!

I think if the Canucks played better it might have been more enjoyable. They’re good anyway, Jess and I don’t skate (I don’t know about Jess but I’ve never ice skated before!) so we were impressed with their skating skills and the way they control the puck. But because they had no chance of a comeback there was no point in seeing the rest of the game. It was a good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment