Monday 21 December 2015

It really doesn't feel like Christmas.

I cannot believe it's Christmas this week. It doesn't feel like it, but maybe that's because I don't have plans and am more looking forward to the New Year's celebrations we have organised, which will be a combined Christmas/New Year thing.

But I must backtrack a week. Last weekend I went to San Francisco to see my Aunty Gail and family friend Lee. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw them, it's probably been a good 4-5 months!! At first I wasn't so sure on the decision to go down, with this new job, but then thought, "screw it!". They're so close and I couldn't really pass up the opportunity to visit while they were on this side of the world.

So after a late night flight on the Friday I was back in San Fran. The last time I was there was in 2007 (!!!) and prior to that it would have been about 1995 or 1996. It seems to be a visit of every 10 years!! It is such a cool city and the people are so friendly. They rented an apartment near the Palace of Fine Arts and it was so nice being in a residential area, rather than the downtown or touristy area. The first day was a really nice day, we went to their local bakery for a decent coffee then walked to get a cable car. We stopped off at the Fairmont then looked at a church nearby. Following that we headed to downtown San Fran and watched the ice skaters, a very cool acapella group and tried to see how many people were dressed up in crazy Santa costumes because it happened to be Santacon that day. (where people just bar hop dressed as Santa.) We then headed back to their favourite French cafe that had the most delicious food and chai lattes. We ate there both days.

As the weather on the Sunday was predicted to be raining (great, I left Vancouver to go to SUNNY California) we decided to go for a walk down towards the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a lovely arvo and a beautiful sunset. Also there were surfers under the bridge!! Crazy! The following day was Gail's birthday so we went to our usual places and did a bit of shopping on another local street. Unfortunately it was a short day for me as I had to leave for the airport around 2.45pm. But stupid me, did not check the flights as my flight was delayed for 2 hours (!!) so I hung out at the airport when I could have had more time with them. Oh well. It was so good to see them and have that little piece of home over here. I guess it's hard at this time of year when you can't be with your family for the holidays.

Oh and in other news Miley Cyrus was on my flight to Vancouver!!! I tried to take a sneaky photo but it was so blurry. I could not make a living as a papparazzi!

Not a lot else happening, just going out really and hanging out with friends. Like I said, I think I won't be doing a lot for Christmas. I have 10 days off (yippee!) so will be chilling out. There is a plan to learn to ski, so hoping that'll happen next week. Might hit the Boxing Day sales and then before we know it 2016 will be here! Crazy!

I've only just realised that I haven't been home for Christmas for a few years so really missing the hot Aussie Christmas this year.

No doubt there'll be another update before the end of the year, so until then, Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment